Current version

v1.10.4 (stable)


Main page
Archived news
Plugin SDK
Knowledge base
Contact info
Other projects


Blog Archive

VirtualDub 1.6.4 released

Never try uploading large numbers of files by FTP while Azureus is running. I tried uploading a new copy of my website while my other machine was pulling down a Mandrake Linux DVD, and I kept getting failed connections. I think my hardware firewall+router is hitting its limit with respect to rapid-fire incoming connections. (I'm a neanderthal and still use command-line FTP, which does not have PASV support.)

1.6.4 is out on SourceForge. It has some general cleanup of issues in 1.6.3, and more importantly, thanks to some persistant users has a couple of critical fixes for Windows 95/98/ME users -- a GDI handle leak fix, and a GDI region double-free fix. It also has a workaround for the capture problems on the SAA713x-based boards. There are still some issues; video timing becomes wonky when audio playback is enabled, and for some reason the tuner has a habit of randomly dropping out of the crossbar, but at least basic capture should work.

Avisynth users: F2.

DV capture still doesn't work, I'm afraid. I'm going to try to find my DVplus and implement the necessary format and/or splitter support for 1.6.5. I have two choices here: I can either use DirectShow's DV splitter to fork the DV stream into conventional audio and video, or I can dump the type-1 stream to disk. The former has the advantage that the audio code can work; the latter can deal with mid-stream format changes but requires some internal API rework.

The command-line support for capture isn't actually documented anywhere. The main reason is that I haven't updated the help file; I recently discovered that Html Help supports launching topics directly through command-line parameters to hh.exe so I'm going to look into ditching the double-zip system for that. In the meantime, here are the switches:

I just realized there isn't a way to get VirtualDub to exit after capture has ended. Whoops. I'll need to add that. The reason I added these is that I started implementing capture scheduling and realized that the UI was going to be annoying to write, so I went with command-line support instead.

Build 23174 (1.6.4, experimental): [February 12, 2005]
    [features added]
    * Capture: Added support for detecting and correcting discrepancies in
      the video time base. This can reduce frame drops if the incoming frame
      rate is unexpectedly and regularly too high or too low.
    * Capture: Added command-line support.
    * Capture: Timing settings are now saved.
    * Capture: Stop conditions can now be modified during capture.
    * Capture: Luma squish can now be separately enabled for the black and
      white ends of the luma spectrum.
    * Capture: Luma squish now works with planar YCbCr formats.
    * Capture: Frame timing is now exportable as a comma-separated-value file
      for analysis.
    * Added an option to reopen the input file while preserving the edit

    * Added detection of video codecs that improperly modify their input
      framebuffer during compression. 

    [bugs fixed]
    * Capture: Audio devices were appearing on the wrong menu.
    * Capture: Settings dialog sometimes didn't allow OK to be pressed due to
      validating hidden settings.
    * Capture: Exiting the crop dialog caused device settings to reset.
    * Capture: Fixed time wrap at 35min with the DirectShow driver.
    * Capture: Fixed crash when using filter chains where the input and
      output of the chain have different frame sizes.
    * Capture: Added workaround for freezing with SAA713x-based capture
      devices -- the system clock is always used for the reference clock
      rather than any capture filter clock.
    * Capture: A warning is now appropriately displayed when VirtualDub
      cannot analyze incoming video (preview acceleration, live filter
    * Fixed massive slowdown in hex editor when scanning RIFF tree for an AVI
      file with a lot of video frames.
    * Fixed bug with the "last frame" facility in the video filter system that
      was causing the motion blur filter to fail if it was first and another
      filter followed it.
    * Fixed intermittent crash under Windows 98 when repainting draggable video
    * Fixed path handling around UNC network shares and Windows 2000/XP volume
      mount points, which could sometimes result in incorrect 4GB FAT errors.
    * Fixed some cases where the mask/unmask code didn't mask the right frames.
    * PNG decoder failed if the compressed data contained a stored chunk.
    * PNG decoder crashed if an error occurred during decoding.
    * Fixed GDI handle leak.
    * Display panes did not react properly to the mouse cursor when positioned
      over a secondary monitor with a negative position. 

    [regressions fixed]
    * Source Audio had to be selected twice if WAV audio was the previously
      selected option.
    * Motion JPEG code was crashing instead of throwing errors on unsupported MJPEG
    * Capture: Cropping caused YCbCr formats to vertically flip.
    * Capture: VFW driver was not properly reporting failure when setting
      unsupported video formats.
    * Capture: "Wait for OK on capture" has been reimplemented.
    * Fixed the prev/next range commands always saying "no prev/next range." 


This blog was originally open for comments when this entry was first posted, but was later closed and then removed due to spam and after a migration away from the original blog software. Unfortunately, it would have been a lot of work to reformat the comments to republish them. The author thanks everyone who posted comments and added to the discussion.