¶VirtualDub 1.9.6 released
VirtualDub 1.9.6 is now available for download. This is a stable fix-only release addressing several bugs and also some regressions introduced along the 1.9.x code line. The main intent is to try to fix all of the issues that are preventing people from migrating from 1.8.x to 1.9.x.
The current plan is to release at least one more bug-fix only release (1.9.7), and after that, I have no idea. I have some relatively largish changes pending in another code line, but at this point I don't think I'm going to want to release it as 1.9.8, in case I need to release another fix-only release in the interim... which leads to a problem because I've run out of mid-level version numbers. I'm not going to start a 1.10.x line, because I learned the hard way that everyone reads it as a decimal and thinks .10 < .9. What I should have done was inserted a leading zero so that I'd be at 1.09 instead. I could just jump to 2.0.x instead, but that seems kind of lame since I'm unlikely to have the kinds of changes that would warrant a 2.0 release. Then again, the last time I thought I was going make version 2 a big upgrade I ended up screwing up the code line so badly I had to pull a Vista and restart from the 1.4 code base, so maybe I should just bump the version number.
Maybe I should just be lazy and use build numbers.
Anyway, here's the change log for this release:
Build 32618 (1.9.6, stable): [September 19, 2009]
* Images: Fixed bug where the PNG encoder would randomly produce invalid
* Scripts: Fixed memory read crash when attempting to open a file with
percent signs.[regressions fixed]
* Retweaked MP3 CBR rate determination.
* Fixed rare crash when stopping a scene shuttle operation.
* AVI: 1GB option was broken for normal save operations (although it did
work for capture mode).
* Filters: Shift+Mouse color checking in preview windows works again (broken
* Filters: Fixed incorrect frame being sampled after edits were done on the
* UI: Removed "run as job" check box from Save Image Sequence dialog, since
it's now redundant with the "queue batch operation" command.